March 2, 2019

I Wanna Be Right!

As an abused child, my step-dad Dick told me over and over how wrong I was and led me to believe he might love me IF I did something, anything right. 

I became an adult abuse survivor who desperately needed to be right, so I could be worthy and loved. 

I learned in 12-step meetings to ask myself “Do I wanna be right? Or do I wanna be happy?”  Most of the time, this questions allows me to let go of an argument and my need to win it. 

Exception found. 

For some reason, having a 7 or 10 year old argue with me drives me to the edge of madness! 

Me:          On the next slide, you’ll be taking a quiz.

Student:   It’s a quiz check. 

Day after day, for crying out loud, it’s an assessment!  They’re all assessments and it doesn’t make you any smarter by arguing with me again and again! 

Me:          Go to the next slide and reread the text.

Student:   I’ve already done this.

Me:          Do it again. 

Student:   But I’ve already done this.

Me:          I know, read it again, the slide says REread.

Student:   But that’s not fair, I’ve already read it!

Day after day, lesson after lesson.  Quit arguing with me and do what I’ve asked you to do!

Me:          Let’s start with Math today.

Student:   Aw, I wanted to do Language Arts first. 

Another day. 

Me:          Let’s start with Language Arts today.

Student:   Can’t we start with Art today?

Day after day.  Power struggle after power struggle.

Me:           Why did you skip slide 10?

Student:    I didn’t. 

Me:           You were just on slide 9, now you’re on slide 11.  Did you watch the videos?

Student:    No. 

Me:           Why not?

Student:    I didn’t think I needed to.

Me:           Where’s your notebook (where he has written he won’t skip parts of the lessons without my express permission.)?

Student:   My brother took it home.

Minutes later, I pull out both of his notebooks. 

Me:           Why did you tell me your brother took your notebook home?

Student:    I didn’t. 

What am I missing here?  Day after day. 

And at the end of the day? 

Damn it! 

I want to be right! 

No comments:

Post a Comment