January 18, 2019

I Resemble These People…and I Like Them

A friend lovingly suggested I might be a codependent and that I might want to try out a 12 Step Program.  I was furious!  How impertinent for her to say I had a problem!  I didn’t have a problem!!  I was in the process of divorcing husband #3 and already dating a new person.  Husband #3 and I had been married 15 years.  I wasn’t happy, not for most of the 15 years.  He was the problem, not I.  I believed I had a faulty “picker” at worst.

It was several years before I had my first 12 Step experience.  My marriage to husband #4 was falling apart.  I had tried everything I could think of to make it work.  My husband continued to drink, gamble and smoke meth. 

I went to my first meeting.  I thought it seemed like they might be a cult; however, I heard something I liked and kept going back.  I started off thinking there was something wrong with the people I met in the meetings.  I went back for weeks, perhaps even months.  I realized I had a lot in common with these people.  I could learn a lot from them.  All of a sudden, I had an epiphany, the people in these meeting were kind, loving people who were making a lot of mistakes but ultimately intended good for their loves ones.  They were nice people! 

I was a nice person too!  I had made a lot of mistakes throughout my life but not because I was bad, unlovable, or trying to hurt someone.  I needed new tools and thinking.

Soon, I was attending more than seven meetings each week.  I spent time with my fellow 12 Steppers and got to know and love many of them.  I was listening and learning.  I began applying and my life started to improve.   

If you need help, I encourage you to see out a 12 step program.  There are many and they are not all alike.  Each group has it’s own “feel” or “flavor” if you will.  I recommend giving each one you try 3 visits so you have a really good idea of whether or not it’s a “flavor” you like.  Try different meetings within the same group umbrella as not all meetings are healthy. 

If you want change, if you need change, if you’re desperate (I was); practice what you’re hearing when it sounds like it might work and keep going back until you receive a miraculous change in your thinking and behaviors. 

I have been transformed.  I have to say thank you, thank you, thank you to God, my Higher Power!

No comments:

Post a Comment