January 20, 2019

Shaking My Head Over Spilt Coffee

So class is in session.  It’s late morning.  Nathan is to my left, Noah is to my right.  We’re all sitting at my dining room table which is a small, rectangular one which can comfortably sit four people.  They each have a laptop in front of them and are working on lessons.  I’m sitting between them.  We have a stack of class books in front of us that’s at least 7 books high.  There are art supplies on the table to include an 8 1/2 by 11 sketchpad.  There are two bottled waters on the table, labeled with names.  My half full coffee cup is between myself and the stack of books. 

I have no depth perception.

I finish talking and reach for my coffee cup.  Instead of grasping the handle with my fingers, my hand pummels the cup and knocks it over.  Coffee everywhere!  I snatch up the books, grab paper towels and direct my older nephew to grab a clean dishcloth to wipe down the laptop he’s rescued.  I’m apologizing profusely.  My nephews, Nathan and Noah are looking at me wide-eyed. 

The books are dry (no clue how that happened!).  The laptop is dry (again, no idea!).  Nathan’s sketchpad is soaked along one edge and two of his drawings are stained coffee brown.  I apologize and apologize.  Nathan doesn’t seem to accept.  I don’t blame him.  I’m thinking through possible ways to salvage the art.  We’ll figure it out.

We settle back in to classwork.  More than an hour goes by.  Nathan says, “Aunt Maria, I’m really wet.”  I look down and his right jean leg is soaked!  Poor kid!  He tells me it stinks (he thinks it smells like vomit, but it’s just cold coffee).  I apologize again and give him a pair of my long, black shorts to wear.  I put his coffee soaked jeans in the laundry. 

I apologize again, profusely.  I’m so clumsy and so sorry and I can’t believe he’s suffered in wet, smelly jeans so long without saying anything!  The shorts fit reasonably well and we go on about our business for the day.

When Grandma arrives to pick them up, the jeans are retrieved from the dryer and are still wet (not sure why they didn’t dry).  Nathan ended up wearing his Aunt Maria’s shorts home. 

I can totally believe this happened.  I am very clumsy.  Ironic that the adult at the table is the one who made a mess.  Said adult is no longer allowed to have uncapped beverages on the table during school time. 

I cannot believe how much liquid is in a half cup of coffee!!!

Do you have a clumsy moment to share?   

No comments:

Post a Comment