January 6, 2019

The Most Important Thing About Me

As we’re getting to know each other, I feel it’s important to tell you the most important thing about me.

I love God! I have a personal, unique relationship with God! I’m HIs daughter. He has redeemed me through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus and I’ll be spending eternity with Him, in Heaven, when I leave the earth behind. He is healing me and using my brokenness to further His will.

I grew up in a “Christian” home. My mother and my step-father Dick both professed to be Christians. My mother’s actions were Christ-like. My step-father’s actions were evil. God intends for Christians to demonstrate to other people what He looks like through them. When they don’t behave in Christ-like ways, it skews the perceptions of those who are observing.

My step-father was not trustworthy and I mistakenly believed God wasn’t trustworthy either.

I accepted Christ as my Savior in the 3rd grade. I don't know how many times I was baptized: my home church, vacation bible school, church camps. I still wasn't perfect, so I didn't think it worked. I prayed asking God to fix my childhood home and nothing improved so I believed God didn't really love me and had failed me.

When I was 11, I remember God calling me to follow Him and be obedient to Him. I didn't trust Him so I told God I would do things my way.

God can use anyone. I have a girlfriend who didn't believe in God and He used her to tell me I might be codependent and might benefit from attending a 12-Step group.  God spoke to me in those rooms and I slowly let Him into my life and began to trust Him. I began to follow His promptings.

In 2015, I started attending church regularly and was deeply impacted by Christians who loved and accepted me. On August 23, 2015 I went to a church dinner. There was an invitation to accept Christ at the end of the evening and I couldn't get my hands up fast enough when asked if I wanted to make a decision to follow Christ. I wasn't getting saved again. I was surrendering to Christ for the first time.

I am convinced God loves and accepts me and I can trust Him with my life. 

These verses describe the change in me. "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment