January 3, 2019

My Inception and Biodad Introduction

I’ve lived a long time and am in a really good place today.  A lot has happened over the last five decades and I need to give you some history so you have a chance to understand my story. 

It was early 1964 in Indiana.  My mom Peony was a beautiful, shy 16 year old from a farming family rooted in Christian values.  My parents attended the same school.  Girls at their school thought my father Thomas was very handsome and quite the catch.  Dad was a “bad boy”.  Grandma Jones tried to talk Mom out of dating him but Mom rebelled.  I don’t know how long my parents dated before the following transpired, but I do know he was Mom’s first love.  Dad professed to love Mom until his death in 2017.

Dad asked Mom to go to a party at the lake with him.  I don’t know the specifics about the party.  Mom told him she could only go if her mother allowed her to attend.  Mom thought Grandma would say no because it would mean missing church.  To Mom’s surprise, Grandma Jones said yes.  I was conceived at that party and was born on December 15, 1964. 

My parents married in my grandparents’ living room after Mom got pregnant but before my birth.  Neighbors of my grandparents rented a farmhouse to my parents.  Dad’s parents had steady factory jobs and got him a good job too.  My birth was followed shortly by another pregnancy and my sister Tammi was born.  Dad never paid their rent on time because he preferred to spend his money on himself. 

Grandma Jones came to visit one day and Dad wasn’t home.  Grandma asked Mom where Dad was and Mom told her he went to buy cigarettes three days prior and hadn’t returned.  Dad had a problem; he’s rather drink, fish and hunt than work or take care of his family.  Grandma told Mom to pack up and took the three of us back to her farmhouse.  Grandma Jones called her attorney and started divorce proceedings for Mom. 

I was unaware the father listed on my birth certificate wasn’t my biological father until I asked Mom why I had three grandmothers instead of two.  I didn’t meet my biodad until I was 16 years old.  Mom has been married to two other men; my wicked step-father and my dad.  The wicked step-father was Mom’s second husband and you’ll get to know him.  My dad is Mom’s current and third husband.  He’s an amazing man whom I cherish in my life.  I call him Dad and refer to him as Dad in conversation.  This is why my biological father is relegated to the title of Biodad in conversation.  Are we clear?

No comments:

Post a Comment