January 14, 2019

4 1/2 Hours to Get Blood Drawn

Left the house at 10:30 to get my blood drawn for the neurologist. Receptionist at my doctor’s office where I normally go politely explained due to a recent change in my insurance, I now have to go to one of two other locations in town. Sweet of her to tell me so I didn’t have to look it up.

My husband and I had prior experience with both labs and chose the one which seemed to be more respectful of it’s patients and their time. It’s inside a Safeway grocery store. I thought it was immediately inside one of the entrances. It was not. It was at the back of the store. I hadn’t been inside a grocery store since mid-August. The lights, sound and motion there triggers my vertigo.  

I had to traverse long distances with nothing sturdy to use for wall walking to get to the lab. The waiting area is the width of a hallway with 11 chairs lining either side and all but one seat was filled. The receptionist asks if I’ve checked in. I haven’t. She snippily tells me to check in at the kiosk.  I comply, then ask about how long the wait currently is since my husband is waiting for me in the parking lot.  An hour.  I communicate this to my husband so he can go do errands without me.

I read on the door that appointments can be made at their website.  I use my phone to set up an account for future draws.  I notice there are about five appointments still available today.

I attempt to schedule an appointment at the VA Clinic.  I try to set up an account but my username is too long.  I shorten it.  It’s being used by someone else.  I change it.  I receive a message that I cannot set up a new account because there’s already an account set up in my name! 

The receptionist calls my name and asks for my insurance card.  I explain I haven’t received an insurance card from CareFirst yet.  I’m not concerned because I’ve had two doctor visits since 1/1/19 and they both had my new information.  She tells me she has to make a copy of the card.  I explain again they haven’t sent me one.  She tells me they can’t draw my blood until I have my card.  I’m pissed but I feel so stinking bad, I don’t even argue, just leave.   

My husband shows me his CareFirst card and says it was in the paperwork he was looking at the day before.  I ask if mine is there too, he says yes.  I snag a same day appointment at 2:15 using my new account.  We go get lunch.  I leave another message for the local VA Clinic requesting an appointment.   

We go home to get my new insurance card.  It’s not on the table.  I tell my husband I can’t find mine.  He thought I received a separate mailing with my card at the same time his came in the mail.  I did not.  I call CareFirst and explain what’s going on.  She tells me my card should arrive by 1/20/19 and until then they cannot send another one.  I explain the lab won’t take my blood without the card and I can’t see my neurologist again until I’ve obtained all the tests he ordered.  She puts me on hold, talks to her supervisor, calls the lab and tells me the lab must take the blood draw whether or not I have insurance and all I have to give them is my AHCCS number, I tuck the 18 page letter with the number in my purse and thank her profusely.

I call and schedule an appointment for my husband to see a local urologist in 2 months.  It has taken more than 3 months to get this referral!  We haven’t received the referral for the podiatrist yet. 

Called and scheduled my annual mammogram and a sinus x-ray for the same day. 

Called and confirmed my appointment for a mental health exam which Disability set up.  Tried to call Disability to confirm appointment, they didn’t answer. 

Went back into Safeway using a cart to steady myself as I went back to the lab again.  Had my blood drawn after 2 other people were called before me even though I had an appointment and they didn’t.  It took from 10:30 to 3 pm for me to get a blood draw today.  

Finally connected with the VA Clinic and got an appointment in 8 weeks and have to give them a blood sample in 6 weeks.  Hope the next one doesn’t take as long!

No comments:

Post a Comment